About our blog

This blog began as an attempt to keep our family and friends included in the adventures of little Baby Blakely until he made his appearance in the world. Now, this has become a gathering place for all of our various adventures as we continue to enjoy time as a growing family.

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

It's August, so you know...

It's August, so you know, life is a little rough around most college campuses. It is no different where I get the privilege of working. Most of you know I'm in residence life which means we get started up even earlier than most because student staff returns even earlier. Let the full out sprint begin and we'll all come up for air in September.

I have a number of items on the old to do list prior to students arriving next week. Here's a few highlights:

  1. Visual aids and speech created for a major presentation to over 1100 new students on Title IX. Yeah...I'm sort of freaking out about this one.
  2. Several training sessions for student staff. This shouldn't be too rough to accomplish; just need to actually get it done.
  3. Get my calendar looking somewhat under control for the start of the semester. For those of you that have seen behind the scenes, you know this is a struggle sometimes.
  4. Finally finish class outlines for our RA class overhaul. I've got the content bouncing around in my brain but just need to put it on paper.
  5. Finish the organization of our campus resource showcase event for RAs
Unfortunately, tomorrow I'm out of the office for a personal commitment (more on that at a later time) and Thursday I'm occupied with the Student Affairs kick off retreat. That leaves three business days to accomplish some decently large tasks. Yup, it's officially August.

When are your busy times? Do you have a particular month or time of year that is worse than others? Sound off in the comments!

Update: Since so many of you have said things to me in person and online about the stressful August ahead of me, I wanted to give a quick update on progress.
  1. Speech is 99% done. Minor tweaking, timing, and "it would be nice" items are all that's left.
  2. Student staff trainings are all prepared. I need to review a few items prior to the presentations but overall, ready to go.
  3. Calendar is atrocious still. That's a today task.
  4. Two session outlines left and I think I can knock them out today.
  5. Resource showcase is done!
RA's and DS's show up tomorrow so today is the last minute freak out. Here's the FTLW Freakout board hanging over my head in my office.
Yes, that is an Oswald the Lucky Rabbit hat displayed above my monitor. It reminds me of the happiest place on earth, Disney World, and a very happy family vacation. I need happy memories in August.

No comments:

Post a Comment