About our blog

This blog began as an attempt to keep our family and friends included in the adventures of little Baby Blakely until he made his appearance in the world. Now, this has become a gathering place for all of our various adventures as we continue to enjoy time as a growing family.

Sunday, August 3, 2014

Blueberry Compote

We often find ourselves with leftover sandwich bread here in the Blakely household.  Josh and I will eat PB&Js and pimento cheese sandwiches, and we all love a good grilled cheese, but we just tend to eat things other than sandwiches most of the time.  So tonight I realized we had a whole loaf we had yet to open and I really hate wasting food.  I knew we also had eggs to use up, so french toast for dinner it was!


I was thinking through what fruit we had to go with it, and remembered we had some blueberries.  Rather than just putting them on the side, I decided to fancy up the french toast for tonight and make a blueberry compote!  Oh, I am so glad I did.  It was so easy and made the perfect topping for the french toast.  No maple syrup needed!

Start by rinsing about a cup of fresh blueberries.


Add a tablespoon of sugar, a tablespoon of water and an 1/4 of a teaspoon of salt to a saucepan along with the blueberries.


Bring the mixture to a boil for about a minute, then mash about half of the blueberries allowing them to release their juices.


Next turn down the heat and let it simmer for about 10 minutes to allow the syrup to thicken.  Then, ta da!  Beautiful perfect blueberry compote to top your french toast!  Obviously this would also be delicious on top of pancakes, or in a bowl of hot oatmeal, or even on top of ice cream!!  





Try it and let me know how yours turned out!  Clearly Noah enjoyed it!!!



2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Lindsay, I'm pretty sure Noah would live on fruit alone if we let him! This recipe was the perfect balance of sweet and tart from the fresh blueberries. I always thought compotes must be difficult to make since they sound so fancy, but it was so simple and delicious!

      Delete