About our blog

This blog began as an attempt to keep our family and friends included in the adventures of little Baby Blakely until he made his appearance in the world. Now, this has become a gathering place for all of our various adventures as we continue to enjoy time as a growing family.

Friday, July 18, 2014

Is it fall yet?

Our very favorite season here at the Blakely household is fall!  Really, we love things about every season, but there is just something about the crisp air, the leaves turning bright hues of red, orange and yellow, the smell of cinnamon and cider, the pumpkin flavored everything (but especially pumpkin spiced lattes), and finally getting to pull on that favorite sweater.  Apparently we are longing for a little bit of fall because on this week's menu plan, Josh picked out a new recipe to try that clearly belongs in October or November!  And, after making it tonight, I think it will be made many times throughout this fall.  It was yummy yummy!



Apple Cheddar Squash Soup

This is the recipe I began with: Apple Cheddar Squash Soup
But I made some adaptations in general but also to make it vegetarian.  So here's my version:

4 tbsp unsalted butter
1 medium onion
1 large apple
1 large russet potato
2 cups butternut squash
Salt
Pepper
2 tbsp flour
1/3 cup applejuice
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
4 cups vegetable broth
1 cup milk
2 cups grated cheddar cheese
dried parsley
Yummy bread

I peeled and chopped a large butternut squash into chunks.  It gave me enough for this recipe plus another small pan of squash that I sauteed up with butter, pumpkin pie spice and a little brown sugar for another night.


I peeled and chopped the potato and apple as well.  Then I diced the onion.  I sauteed all of that together in the pan with the butter for about 8-10 minutes and added some salt and pepper.


Then I stirred in the flour and added the apple juice and pumpkin pie spice (cider isn't out around here right now so the juice and spice combo worked perfectly).  Once that was all mixed together I added the veggie broth and milk.  I turned the heat to medium high until it began to boil and then lowered the heat and let it simmer for about 10 minutes.  I did not cover the pan.


Before adding the cheese, I blended the soup.  I found it really easy to use my hand blender rather than transferring the mixture a little at a time to a food processor or blender.  I have this hand blender: 2 Speed Hand Blender It worked perfectly using the blending wand to puree the mixture into a creamy thick soup.


After blending, I added the cheese (reserving some to garnish the individual bowls) and parsley.  I also made some garlic bread to go along side of it.

 
This meal was delicious!  This soup is a perfect blend of sweet and savory and a perfect balance of my favorite fall flavors.  I often feel like I get stuck making the same meals over and over again, so this was a great new addition.  Plus, I just really love trying new recipes!  Enjoy!!


No comments:

Post a Comment