About our blog

This blog began as an attempt to keep our family and friends included in the adventures of little Baby Blakely until he made his appearance in the world. Now, this has become a gathering place for all of our various adventures as we continue to enjoy time as a growing family.

Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Switching gears

Someone asked me last week if I'm the only person who wears a tie during the summer. "We're casual around here during the summer!" My response was typical of me, I pick my outfit depending on what is on my calendar for that day. If I'm getting office work done, I'm business casual. If I'm moving furniture in the residence halls or doing teambuilders with students, I'm casual. If I'm meeting with a Vice President or presenting to a group of professionals, I'm business. Attire sets the tone for your interaction, whether we like it or not.

This morning I had the occasion to take my son to school again and thought about the time transitioning between parent and professional. My attire helps me to make the mental switch. When I'm in my comfy clothes, I'm dad. When I get my tie on and head to work, I'm the Director. Perhaps the distinction is only in my head but it is helpful for me to be able to switch gears and focus my attention in on the task at hand, be it parenting or managing.

I envy the folks who get to work from home. Not only is it not feasible on most days due to the nature of my job (I don't know how I could direct residence life without being present where the residential living is occurring) but I don't think I'd be able to make the mental switch necessary to actually be productive on work tasks at home. There are just too many immediate home/parenting related tasks vying for my attention. My father, somehow, has managed to juggle the demands on his time while working from home but I don't think I'm cut out for it.

How about you all? Leave a comment about your working from home experience. Do you prefer it to a standard office environment? Are you productive when you do work from home? Do you even bother to put pants on?

2 comments:

  1. I've worked at home now for just over a year (PhD Comprehensive exams and now prospectus/dissertation - I've also taught three courses online in that time). When I am not doing anything too formal/intensive (reading, grading, setting up a course website, responding to emails) I wear pajamas or workout clothes. When I am working on a publication or when I was taking my exams, I will actually go downstairs and change into a collared shirt, like you said, just a mental switch to "business" mode of sorts (as businessy as you can get when there is a princess castle and toys next to your work desk)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So you intentionally match your clothing to your purpose even though others may not view you. Interesting, and likely how I would act if I were in a consistent work from home option.

      Delete