About our blog

This blog began as an attempt to keep our family and friends included in the adventures of little Baby Blakely until he made his appearance in the world. Now, this has become a gathering place for all of our various adventures as we continue to enjoy time as a growing family.

Saturday, February 25, 2012

A little check-up for BB


This week was the fated first (technically 2nd) doctor's appointment after finding out that BB would be coming into our lives. I don't know about Mama but I was definitely nervous. Although we had confirmed the pregnancy a few times, I was terrified that the doctor would tell us we were crazy. It turns out we may be a little nutty but we're also still pregnant.

They asked one question over and over: "what was the date of the beginning of your last period?" Every time we gave the answer, they acted as if we had given them an approximate day. I don't know about all of the other people who come through there but the Blakely's are planning folks. If we tell you a date, we mean exactly that date. Figuring from the date we knew by heart, our little BB would be 7 weeks and 5 days old on the date of our appointment.
The big shocker for us was that we would get to do an ultrasound. We were reassured that there would not be much to see but we'd look around anyway. Amazingly enough, we spotted BB right away. After doing a little measurement, the doctor confirmed that BB was 7 weeks and 6 days old. I told you we meant exactly what we said.
The coolest part, I thought, was getting to hear the heartbeat. I never thought we'd get to hear it so soon. I thought for sure you had to wait until far into the pregnancy for that sort of thing. It turns out, little BB's heart flipper is going 160 beats per minute right now (they assured me this was normal). So amazing.
I took lots of notes so that I could remember all of the important information as the weeks go on. We go back for another appointment in the middle of February. So far, so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment