About our blog

This blog began as an attempt to keep our family and friends included in the adventures of little Baby Blakely until he made his appearance in the world. Now, this has become a gathering place for all of our various adventures as we continue to enjoy time as a growing family.

Saturday, February 25, 2012

7 Weeks and 3 Days

1/14/12 
            Today I am 7 weeks and 3 days pregnant!  Sorry it has been a while since I wrote!
It’s been a busy new year already.  We rang in the New Year at home with games, yummy food and Dick Clark’s Rockin’ New Years Eve!  It was a lovely relaxing evening since we had church the next morning.  Over Christmas I finished up all my papers for the ordination process to work toward being a provisional deacon in The United Methodist Church.  Several people read over my papers for me, and I finished my final edits during the first week of the new year!  I drove to Richmond on Thursday, January 5th to turn in all my papers, forms and other documents and Beth Downs checked me off in the computer system!  Now I am waiting to hear about my interview date at the end of February. 
            After driving back to Farmville, I picked up Josh and we grabbed some lunch and then headed to our very first doctor’s appointment for BB!  I was a little nervous but very excited as well.  The nurse assistant was so excited for us.  She used a little layered spinning cardboard circle that looked like a little spy decoder I had when I was a kid to line up the first day of my last period to figure out my due date…AUGUST 30th!!!  Then she said, “Oh, I will be praying for you being pregnant all through the summer…and I’ll be praying for your husband because you’re gunna be cranky.”  Haha, I love it!  After taking all my measurements (weight, height, blood pressure, temperature), I peed in a cup and then joined Josh in one of the rooms while we waited for the nurse.  When she came in, we talked about how I was feeling (exhausted, peeing all the time, nauseous at times but not puking, breast tenderness) and some ways to help those symptoms.  She asked if I planned on breast-feeding, and I said absolutely.  She gave us a handout on things to do to prepare my body for breast-feeding.  She went over the various things she’d be testing for through the blood work I would have done.  Then she said “Ok, you are at 6 weeks now.  Let’s schedule you to come back next week and we can do an ultrasound so you can see the baby and heartbeat.  We could try to do it today, but we might not see anything.  If we wait until next week we should definitely see something!”  We were excited.  I didn’t expect to have an ultrasound this early.  Of course, their computer system was down, so we had to wait for a call from the office later in the week to schedule our next appointment. 
We went upstairs to LabCorp and they took about 6 vials of blood from me.  What was funny though is the lady had the needle in on a weird angle, so every time she popped out one vial and put another in, I was spurting blood all over the place.  She kept freaking out about it and asking if I was okay.  It didn’t bother me, I was just sad for her because she had a lot of blood to clean up.  I mean, my blood was all over the armrest, the table where she was putting the vials and all over my own arm.  I was just glad she didn’t have any trouble finding my vein because that’s usually the issue I have with getting blood drawn.  She kept apologizing, and I assured her I was just fine.  We got a call early the following week, and our next appointment is this Monday, January 16th!  I just got my letter from the nurse in the mail yesterday saying all my labs were okay except my Vitamin D is low.  So today I plan on buying a Vitamin D supplement that she suggested in her letter.
Last Saturday, Josh and I went on our first date of the 12 Dates gift I gave him for Christmas!  January’s date was an at-home spa night!  I had bought a foot mask, we had massages with a massage bar and we snacked on chocolate covered pretzels, strawberries and apples while we watched a movie.  It was such a great relaxing evening together!  Next month: Lion King at the Landmark Theater in Richmond!  I hope to write again after our appointment on Monday!  Pray for a strong heartbeat!







No comments:

Post a Comment