About our blog

This blog began as an attempt to keep our family and friends included in the adventures of little Baby Blakely until he made his appearance in the world. Now, this has become a gathering place for all of our various adventures as we continue to enjoy time as a growing family.

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Life is messy

The saying goes, life is messy but better than the alternative.

I've recently had the occasion to experience the death of another grandparent. This is the third grandfather to pass in my life. While I don't remember my mom's father all that well, my (step)grandfather Jack and my granddaddy Blakely have been an active part of my life for as long as I can remember. Jack's passing made me reflect on how tangible items can prompt jogs down memory lane; how having a physical "touch stone" can reconnect us with our past.


The process of my granddaddy Blakely's passing has taught me some very different lessons altogether. This has been a long 6 months of tests and treatments, of medical opinions and second guesses, of decisions and indecision, and, yes sadly, fights and frustrations. Throughout it all, though, I'm reminded of God's grace which goes before us, walks with us, and leads us to a deeper relationship with Him.

Granddaddy and Grandmother Blakely with the grandkids (and one granddaughter-in-law)

On a recent visit to see my grandfather, my brothers and I had the chance to take him to a radiation treatment. Make no mistake, the mood was grim as radiation was actually the second type of treatment considered after the first, and more aggressive option, failed. Despite the prognosis, my grandfather's sense of humor was in full swing and we enjoyed the jokes and jibes he proffered willingly as we travelled to the doctor's office. There is really a great beauty in a family laughing together, even as they all face the unknown together.

After we arrived at the radiation treatment center, I took granddaddy back to the changing room to help him get into the paper thin gown with which all hospitals seem to torture patients. As I helped him take his shirt off and navigate the port doctors had installed, I was overwhelmed with a sense of God's grace. I was struck by the thought of men and women doing this same act for others day in and day out. There is such beauty in nurses, health care assistants, family, and friends assisting frail, weakened children of God as they pray that the strength of their bodies will once again match the strength of their spirits.

My grandfather and Noah shortly after Noah joined our family.
The passing of my grandfather has not been a pleasant experience for our family. Despite this, I'm reminded of John Wesley's famous quote, ironically stated from his death bed, "...and the best of all, God is with us." You see, in the midst of tragedy people like to ask how God could let something terrible occur. I'm striving to keep focused on how God is working for good even in the midst of the despair, grief, sadness, and loss.

I had a conversation with my grandfather recently before his health took a drastic turn for the worse. While we were talking, I felt the need to talk religion with him. I'm very aware of the Baptist beliefs he ascribed to later in his life and took no offense to his views on things even as they conflicted with my own particular expression of Christianity. Despite the fact that most would classify me as a pretty avid Christian (is that even a thing?), granddaddy and I never really talked about these sorts of things. Instead, he would typically opine philosophically about the state of the church and I would nod along, politely.

This time was different. This time, I brought it up. Why? I have no clue. Call it God prompting me or call it a hunch but I decided to go for it. I said (not an exact quote, mind you), "you know, granddaddy, God loves you and I know He works for good in all things." Granddaddy took a deep breath, paused, and said, "you're right, son."
Four generations of Blakely men, circa August/September 2012
Four generations of Blakely men, circa September 2013
They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder. In these last 6 months, I've seen beauty all around, even in the ugliest of things like cancer. In things like, loved ones reuniting and telling old stories you've heard a million times; In a scribbled on coloring page from a great-grandson hanging next to a hospital bed; and in the renewed relationships transformed by a common concern. God truly is amazing and has worked through my grandfather's situation despite the serious hardships we've faced.

You know, life really is messy...but I'm glad to get the chance to live it.

1 comment:

  1. The last line - indeed!

    We continue to keep you and your family in our thoughts!

    ReplyDelete