About our blog

This blog began as an attempt to keep our family and friends included in the adventures of little Baby Blakely until he made his appearance in the world. Now, this has become a gathering place for all of our various adventures as we continue to enjoy time as a growing family.

Friday, March 21, 2014

Heels are no joke!

Did you know that 1 in 4 college-age women report surviving rape or attempted rape? That is a staggering fact that sobers me every time I read it even as I am unable to comprehend a number that equates to roughly 400,620 women in 2010 (latest statistics available). That doesn't sound like too many until you realize that it is more than the populations of Richmond, VA and Newport News, VA combined.

Maybe the number would make more sense if broken down into something more meaningful. Longwood University has 4,355 undergraduates. Of them, 69% are women meaning that there are roughly 3,005 undergraduate women. If statistics hold true, then roughly 751 Longwood undergraduates have experienced rape or attempted rape.

Yikes.



This past Thursday, I participated in a program on campus called, "Walk A Mile In Her Shoes." For these events, faculty, staff, and students don red high heel shoes and stomp strut around campus in an effort to call attention to issues such as sexual assault, gender violence, and rape. When the call for participants came out, I was happy to pledge my voice and humongous feet to the cause.


When the day of the event came, I became very nervous. Maybe the size 13 shoes were actually women's size 13, not men's. Maybe the heel would be so high that I'd immediately topple over. I've lost weight recently, but maybe the heels would snap off due to the bulk I have left. Maybe everyone would laugh at me. Maybe...maybe...maybe...

Yeah, you get the point and here's the bigger thing, it's not about me. When faced with the overwhelming knowledge that, statistically speaking, 751 Longwood women are faced with this topic, the least I can do is put on some uncomfortable shoes for a painful, slogging death march quick walk around the block.

I'm encouraged to say that many members of fraternities came out for the event. I'm excited to see the crowd of people that joined in to walk with us as we made our trek around campus. I'm happy that I participated in an uplifting event.

I'm also discouraged to have heard all of the catcalls and jeers related to wearing the heels. I wish the spectacle was the overwhelming need for social change on college campuses. Instead, at times, it ended up being about the gender norm ridiculousness of men in heels.

Despite some minor set-backs, I call it a win for exposing others to the issue at hand. After all, you're still reading and, hopefully, you've become more educated as a result. If I have to toss on some rockin' red pumps to get your attention, so be it.


Before all the pain and not nice words begin.
Also, lest you should forget the other side of this, men are victims of sexual assault as well. Latest statistics say that 3% of college-age men are victims of rape or attempted rape. Using our same math, that would mean that 41 Longwood men are survivors. If that number isn't jaw-dropping enough for you, remember that this is 41 more men than should ever have to face this issue.

Oh and, in case you weren't upset enough, these numbers don't take into consideration other sexual assaults, sexual harassment, gender violence, or intimate partner violence. It's a rough world out there, folks.

So, this past Thursday I spent an hour wearing red high heels and being in excruciating pain. Despite the hilarity of men falling over, those heels are no joke.

No comments:

Post a Comment