About our blog

This blog began as an attempt to keep our family and friends included in the adventures of little Baby Blakely until he made his appearance in the world. Now, this has become a gathering place for all of our various adventures as we continue to enjoy time as a growing family.

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Lions, and chicks, and games...oh my

             As you all know, this is a blog about our adventures on the way to parenthood. Occasionally, we go a bit off-topic to talk about some things that seem relevant or poignant at the time. Well, strap in folks…here we go again.


            Having a child on the way has made me pretty introspective about the world into which this kid is coming. In a world that makes a gangsta rap artist’s Rastafarian enlightened name change into major world news, it seems reasonable to wonder where the “good Christian” role models are for our soon-to-be newborn. It seems a shame that at the very same time in the news, we’re seeing an incredibly polarized (thanks JC for the word choice) debate over the “Christian” values espoused by a prominent chicken sandwich company. Personally, I think we’re missing the voice of the middle ground in this, and probably other, issues in the world.

            Let me be clear: I am a Christian. I don’t think that is a fact that is very hidden. After all, my wife is an ordained Methodist Deacon, which seems to sort of imply that I’m probably involved in the Methodist church in some way or another. But let me also be clear about something else: neither I, nor the Reverend Blakely, hate members of the LGBT community. What seems abundantly clear to me is that the debate over Chick-fil-a seems to have missed the point. I’m pretty sure Jesus was incredibly clear as to what the two greatest commandments were. In my opinion (and please understand this is only MY opinion), loving our neighbor does not include slurs, hate, or fighting. It seems that loving our neighbor does mean critically examining the hard issues of life and coming to a common understanding. Common understanding seems to be lacking in the most fundamental of ways here.

            I’ve thought long and hard about the issue of a boycott or buying spree out of support for one group or another and come to the conclusion that loving my neighbor means staying away from all of that. I will probably continue to buy food from Chick-fil-a but I’m now a bit more aware of the political ramifications of my choice. I’m also painfully aware that, yet again, my life exists in the fishbowl of public scrutiny. I have to admit, today I wanted nothing more than a large sweet tea from Chick-fil-a but avoided it so that I didn’t give support one way or another on the debate. I certainly didn’t want to be seen walking into the local store for fear that students, staff, and friends may make assumptions about my beliefs based on purchasing a sweet tea.

            That is what I think is a distinct shame about the popular view of American Christianity. Again, I am a Christian but please don’t think that by knowing that, you know everything about my beliefs. Some sources say that there are 2.1 billion Christians in the world today, do you really think they all believe the same thing about such a contentious issue as the LGBT community? Hmm…probably not so much.
           
            So, here’s the other thing on my mind this week: the Olympics. The other night the opening ceremony featured a wonderful moment where the upcoming athletes of Britain were given the opportunity to carry torches lit from the flame of the great Olympic torch that traversed the globe. Previous Olympians who saw something promising in them chose these young folks. There is a heart-warming moment where the experienced Olympians hug the next generation of competitors. As I teared up at the passing of the torch (literally and figuratively), I thought, “this is what life is all about.”  As I said before, we’re called to love our neighbors which, to me, means supporting and lifting up the next generation of our world.

Where does chicken, and LGBT rights, and Snoop Lion come into all this? I honestly don’t know but, what I do know, is that my child (and hopefully children someday) will grow up knowing that God loves them as much as He loves everyone else in this world.

Praise God from whom all blessings flow.

No comments:

Post a Comment